Dinner tonight made me finally appreciate that summer is just around the corner. More and more fresh vegetables are filling the grocery store and my planters are filled with budding herbs. Beyond this, I was able to enjoy an after-work run as well as some time outside on my porch in the evening light. This season can’t come fast enough!
I first came across this delicious bowl of tasty treats when browsing Eating Well’s site in search of dinnertime inspiration. This was a real winner and is sure to stay in the regular rotation. It is versatile, simple to throw together, and filling. What other ingredients can you think of to add to this colorful bowl?
- 2 Tablespoons chipotle peppers in adobo sauce, chopped
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3/4 teaspoon cumin
- 2 pounds of chicken breast
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup of dry quinoa
- 15 oz of red kidney beans
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup Monterey jack cheese
Steps and Notes:
- Cook the quinoa
- I prefer the ratio of 1 cup of dry quinoa to 1 1/4 cup of water.
- Warm the beans on a back burner
- In a small pan, saute the corn with olive oil and some cracked red pepper
- In a bowl, combine the peppers, olive oil, garlic powder, cumin and salt.
- Cut the chicken into strips and place in the sauce. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- In a hot skillet, saute the chicken until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side
- Choose your favorite wide bowl and add the chicken, quinoa, spinach, salsa, avocado, beans, corn then top with grated cheese and enjoy!
Thoughts for Next Time:
- Top with some greek yogurt
- Add other veggies like peppers, broccoli, or sauteed onions
- Vary the beans to black beans or refried
- Fill with steak or carnitas
- Serve with a lime wedge
Special Note: This post is a part of the Fiesta Friday fun! The party this week is hosted by the lovely Linda at Fabulous Fare Sisters and Loretta at Safari of the Mind. Be sure to check out their amazing blogs and all of the delicious dishes being featured.